Skip to main content

Wool People Vol. 1 - A collaborative design project

Since early July I have been working on some secret projects that I can't blog about, and will be doing so until mid-September. As such I thought I would share with you something new and beautiful from one of my absolute favorite designers, Jared Flood of Brooklyntweed.net. He just put together a collection of designs based on his yarn line, Shelter.


First off, Jared is an amazing photographer and his knitted items and patterns are always drool-worthy because of the photos. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent reading his blog posts and looking at his pictures and wondering how I could come up with patterns like him. In this pattern collection, Wool People Vol. 1, Jared has curated patterns from various knitwear designers and put them together in a book that will make you want to knit even if you aren't a knitter. The Look Book for the whole collection can be found here, but I wanted to highlight a few items that I would love to knit if I ever get some free time. :)

Allegheny by Thea Colman
This pattern is the one that grabbed me by the horns the moment I saw it in the lookbook. Now I've only successfully knitted 1 sweater and 2 blouses, and so I'm not sure if I'll ever get to this dress, but if there was a dress I was sure to knit, it would be this one. The simplicity of the design, coupled with that cable panel running along the side of the body, gives this dress some undefinable wow. ( I know, I'm almost waxing poetic over a knitted item. But JUST LOOK AT THE DRESS)! The ribbing at the waist that gives it a fitted silhouette, and the little belt with button detail at the waist all come together to make this the perfect sweater dress in my humble opinion.



Now, what color should I knit this in? Or what color would YOU want to wear this dress in? Let me know. :)

Levenwick by Gudrun Johnston
Levenwick snuck up on me when I wasn't looking. The lovely, lovely golden curry color, and the femininity of the feather and fan edging, just pulled me into the cardigan's loveliness. If I had to knit this I would do so in the same exact color as the designer did. The shape, the fit, the profile it creates for the wearer, all make this cardi a fall wardrobe favorite. If I could knit it in time, that is. :)



What color would you want this cardigan in? And how would you wear it? Paired with jeans? Dressed up with a skirt for work? Please share! :)

Holl by Kirsten Johnstone
I have never owned a sweater with the dolman shape, but for some reason I want this one. I really want this one. The simple garter stitch striping effect going on is just driving me crazy. It's so simple it's stunning. I love it. I don't know how I would wear it, or whether the shape would look good on me, but I want it. I think it's beautiful. And that charcoal grey color just calls out to me.






You could definitely wear this sweater in a casual look paired with jeans, or with a nice pencil skirt and some sexy boots for work. Or a party. :) Please tell me how you would wear this. I'm trying to improve my fashion style. :)


I hope you've enjoyed all this knitting eye candy. Next week I'll have a bit more to report on the progress of the giveaway shawls. Have a wonderful week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Spring! Here's a new free pattern!

Spring is FINALLY showing up in full force over here. I'm seeing flower petals floating along on the (STRONG) winds we've been having here in the Bay Area. To celebrate this change of seasons, here is a free pattern for a scarf that I designed last year. I called it Colliding Stars after my friend Melissa, who owns a calligraphy and design business called...you guessed it - Colliding Stars . She saw the initial sample of this scarf that I knit in some random green yarn I had in my stash. (Funny story - I bought the yarn from a fellow Ravelrer who had dyed it a bright neon green. I took it and overdyed the scarf a dark green, but I think I agitated the yarn too much so it had this sort of semi-felted look to it. Pretty interesting). Anyway, here are a few pictures of the initial Colliding Stars scarf, and the pattern follows. You can download a pdf version of the pattern here or on Ravelry . Colliding Stars Denise A. F. Twum I love simple lace patterns th

Fall Breeze Shawl Pattern

Here is the second thing I designed. It's a very, very simple pattern, but the yarn just added another dimension to the pattern. Enjoy! :) Model: Megan May Photographer: Hector Plahar Materials Caron Simply Soft, Off-White Color; 315 yards/60z/170g- 1.5 skeins 1 set US #8/5mm straight needles The border pattern “Lace Check” was taken from “Harmony Guides: Lace and eyelets- 250 stitches to knit”, edited by Erika Knight. Lace Check Pattern (Multiple of 18+9) Row 1(wrong side): Purl Row 2: K1, *[yo, k2tog] 4 times, k10; rep from * to last 8 sts, [yo, k2tog] 4 times. Row 3: Purl Row 4: *[sl 1, k1, psso, yo] 4 times, k10; rep from * to last 9 sts, [sl 1, k1, psso, yo] 4 times, k1. Repeat these 4 rows twice more. Row 13: Purl Row 14: *K10, [yo, k2tog] 4 times; rep from * to last 9 sts, k9. Row 15: Purl. Row 16: K9, *[sl 1, k1, psso, yo] 4 times, k10; rep from * to end. Repeat these last 4 rows twice more. (Total of 24 rows) Shawl Cast on 91 stitches. Knit 6 rows in garter stitch. Now kni

A new free pattern: Wrapped in Clouds Shawl/Scarf v1

Today I have a new pattern for all my knitters out there. It's a very simple pattern that creates a gorgeous, warm shawl, just in time for the cold weather. I actually finished this last year but only got the chance to write it up and put it up now. Here it is, the "Wrapped in Clouds Shawl/Scarf". Thanks to my friend Johanna P. for modeling this at work about a year ago!! The pattern has also been added to Ravelry here .  Wrapped in Clouds Shawl/Scarf A friend of mine saw a shawl similar to this somewhere and asked me to recreate it. I did my best to imitate the look of the shawl, but I cannot for sure say that it’s the same shawl. I thought I’d share the pattern with anyone who might be interested in a light but warm shawl made by striping thin cotton yarn with bulky single ply wool yarn. Because of the lightness of the bulky wool, this shawl can also be worn as a scarf by wrapping it around your neck. The finished product is classy and elegant for very